Black Bridal guide
- Among the Mende people in the Southeast of Sierra Leone it is common with polygymous marriages. But it is common with divorces, remarriages and widow inheritance as well. The budget for the husband and his wives are separated and make it easy for a man to have several wives. A man who lives in a polygymous marriage gives different positions with different tasks to his wives, one ” senior wife” or so- called “head-wife”, one “official wife” and finally one “beloved wife”. The one with who comes from a higher status family often become the “official wife” all the others, if there are any are “junior wives” or so-called “small wives” (Bledsoe, 1993: 170-174)
- A wedding in a western society is about a man and a woman starting a life together and is often done under God’s will. But weddings in Africa are seen more like a way of combining two families together. Even though the African societies have different ways of looking at wedding and marriages they still is constantly influenced by the western society and it has become clearer these latest years.
- Another element to consider when reviewing African culture is polygamy (a common form of plural marriage in tribal societies) and it is widely accepted as a lifestyle in Africa. Africa is so diverse and have more than thousands ethnic groups and because of that, specific wedding rituals vary from region to region. Additionally, many Africans have Islamic and Christian influences and that plays a big role in the wedding ceremonies.
- Coordinated for You, developed through the eyes of an aspiring wedding planner. This blog offers practical tips, advice, wedding inspiration, the latest bridal trends and so much more. If you’re a bride fusing culture into your wedding day, are fashion forward and want to exude all things glamorous, then you’re in the right place! In addition, I will be showcasing my journey to becoming a professional wedding planner.
- Presently, I’m in the process of business planning, which includes attending business seminars and workshops, carrying out in-depth research of the UK wedding market/industry, and taking hold of every opportunity that will bring me one step closer to my goal. I am always looking for opportunities to plan and organise weddings, so please get in touch whether you are newly engaged or are a professional wedding planner here in the UK.